What is IBM PureApplication?
IBM® PureApplication® is a hybrid cloud application platform for deploying application environments quickly and repeatedly for both on-premises and off-premises cloud landscapes. App deployment normally requires scripting and configuring the tasks to deploy and manage an application, its environment and the underlying infrastructure. IBM PureApplication simplifies and automates these tasks and processes to accelerate application delivery, lower costs and reduce errors.
IBM PureApplication benefits
- Accelerate deployment of traditional and cloud-native apps.
- Efficiently manage, maintain and operate deployed application environments.
- Execute repeatable patterns for fast, seamless and reliable deployments.
Deploy applications faster with IBM PureApplication
Get a glimpse of how quickly and simply you can deploy 200+ enterprise applications using Patterns.
Simplifying application delivery with hybrid cloud
Discover the fastest way to deploy, manage and move application environments across hybrid clouds
The total economic impact of IBM PureApplication System
Forrester Research explores the potential ROI of deploying the IBM PureApplication System.
How, where, and why IBM PureApplication fits in your cloud?
Learn how IBM PureApplication can be your enabler of choice for whatever type of cloud you have.
IBM PureApplication technology is available in a range of deployment models—off premises or on premises, as an appliance or as software installed on your hardware. Advantages are:
- A single management user interface (UI)
- Pattern-based deployment
- Monitoring at the middleware, OS and virtualization layers
- Storage, networking and virtualization management
- Update management
- Aggregated logging across multi-server environments
- Unified management of cloud-native and cloud-enabled applications on same platform (on the new IBM Bluemix Local System)
Additional features and functions enable you to:
Divide and isolate physical resources through cloud groups
- Limit resources allocated to a particular user or group
- Isolate applications or stages (i.e. dev/test versus production)
- Isolate internal networks between cloud groups
- Automate rebalancing based on priority
- Establish cloud group types: dedicated physical cores, average physical cores
Achieve automated, vertical scaling for faster response times during usage spikes
- Achieve smooth response times under load
- Offers options for scaling patterns to address demand spikes:
- Vertical: Increase CPU/memory resource allocated to existing nodes/server instances—adding resource to an existing VM takes seconds
- Horizontal: Add VMs, start additional nodes/server instances, tie into existing environment—adding a VM takes minutes
- Combination: Try vertical scaling first, then move to horizontal scaling
- Base decisions to scale a pattern on user-specified policies
- Use vertical and horizontal scaling on vApp and vSys patterns
Use integrated encryption support for patterns to improve application security
- Ensure security of your data at rest with integrated encryption capability
- Enable file system encryption for all or part of your application’s data
- Supports any virtual system or virtual application pattern
- Provides integrated key managers or user can select external key managers
- Offers multiple options for underlying encryption technology
Improve governance through license management capability for IBM and non-IBM software
- Produce license usage reports which meet sub-capacity licensing requirements
- Prevent license overages by optionally taking action when a requested deployment would exceed entitlement
- PureApplication System supports the following license metrics:
- Processor Value Unit (PVU)
- Virtual Instance/VM
- Compute Node/Physical Server
- Processor Core
Distribute costs through chargeback and manage users and groups
- Perform internal chargeback by generating a report with one or more metrics: User(s), Group(s) or Instance(s) and export the report as a spreadsheet for cost calculation
- Restrict access to resources such as individual patterns and specific pools of hardware, storage and IP addresses
- Restrict rights such as create/modify pattern and deploy pattern
- Report usage for showback/chargeback
Take advantage of multi-system deployment, larger subdomains and scalability
- Increase size of deployment subdomain from two to four racks
- Enable a deployed instance to grow on to a system where VMs were not initially deployed—prior versions are limited to adding VMs in place
- Link shared services across externally managed environment profiles
- Manage subdomain mirror location
- Allow instance scale-out to deploy VMs into newly added systems
Backup and restore and achieve single rack high availability (HA)
- Offers high granularity to backup and restore systems management and configuration data
- Provides redundant hardware components throughout and HA management systems
- Supports automatic recovery of workloads within an HA cloud group
- Provides HA patterns for single rack redundancy
Find the IBM PureApplication offering that’s right for you
|Managed||IBM Bluemix Local System||PureApplication System||PureApplication Software||PureApplication Service on SoftLayer|
|What is it?||
Integrated system with optional activation: IBM Bluemix Local, IBM PureApplication Software, IBM Blue Box. Includes hypervisors and network devices in a physical box managed through a unified console.
Integrated system includes: hardware, PureApplication Software, hypervisors and network devices in a physical box managed through a unified console.
PureApplication Software deployment engine and management console.
PureApplication Software deployed in SoftLayer worldwide cloud data centers.
|Where is it?||On-premises appliance||On-premises appliance||On premises. Bring your own hardware.||Off premises. Secure private cloud.|
|Who sets it up?||IBM||IBM||You||IBM|
|Who manages it?||You or IBM||You||You||IBM|
|Time to value||Fastest||Fastest||Fast||Faster|
|Set up and management||Simple||Simple||Flexible||Simple|
Learn how virtual application patterns and virtual system patterns can be used to build expertise into your applications and systems.
Deploy applications in just a few minutes.
Harness the power of patterns to deploy applications faster on and off premises.
Online banking leader reduces development cycle time.