IMS Online Reorganization Facility reorganizes databases — remaining accessible online
The IBM® IMS™ Online Reorganization Facility for z/OS solution reorganizes full function and high availability large database (HALDB) databases, while remaining accessible from online systems. Using the tool, you can schedule when you want to reorganize online databases by predefining an online reorganization window, helping save DBA resources, CPU time, and increasing database availability.
The IMS Online Reorganization Facility for z/OS helps your organization by:
- Providing all of the necessary reorganization procedures (unload, reload, prefix resolution, prefix update, secondary index building, and image copy) in one simple step — eliminating the need for operator intervention during and after reorganization finishes.
- Reducing database downtime from hours to seconds, improving DBA productivity via a single-step reorganization process.
- Enabling the reorganization of IMS full-function databases with short outage (a short period of time called outage time).
- Reorganizing the data into shadow data sets, capturing changes made during this period and applying them to the reorganized shadow data sets.
- Reordering HISAM, HIDAM, HDAM and SHISDAM databases, and re-creating their associated index data sets.
IMS Online Reorganization Facility for z/OS:
- The IMS Online Reorganization Facility for z/OS Reorganizes PHIDAM and PHDAM databases as single partitions.
- IMS Online Reorganization Facility for z/OS makes selected DBD changes during the reorganization process which will automatically be propagated to the participating online systems without the need of launching an online change.
- Supports batch message processing programs (BMPs) that allow you to pause BMPs during /DBRECOVERY commands, and CICS & OTMA applications that quiesce database access during /DBRECOVERY commands.
- Provides reorganization of all HALDB partitions in single job step as well as support for HALDBs with internal logical relationships.
- Offers the ability to reorganize only an index (including PSINDEX) database while it remains online with the ability to unload a database while it is being updated online.
IMS Online Reorganization Facility for z/OS resources