IMS Network Compression Facility reduces data compression time and costs.
The IBM IMS™ Network Compression Facility for z/OS® helps you reduce response times and line costs by compressing data streams to 3270 users. The IMS Network Compression Facility software utilizes 3270 commands to compress unnecessary and/or redundant characters, blank spaces, field definitions and other data. Using this tool, no application changes are necessary and no alterations are made to the users’ screens.
IBM IMS Network Compression Facility for z/OS provides the following features and benefits:
- Supports all forms of output to 3270 terminals.
- Uses standard 3270 data stream protocols to reduce the amount of data transferred from IMS to the user’s terminal, reducing traffic across networks.
- Offers new options for compression of 3270 data streams, compressing all repeated characters (not only spaces, nulls, asterisks and dashes), allowing a 3270 Field Merge, blank elimination, and elimination of nondisplay fields, and eliminating redundant 3270 Set Buffer Address (SBA) commands.
- Improves flexibility by allowing cross-MVS system inquiries and updates to Network Compression Facility information and options.
- Allows you to dynamically change the options in use via its ISPF interface, providing the means to monitor NCF performance and review options.
The ISPF interface benefits your operation with these capabilities:
- Reviews IMS Network Compression Facility options, status and compression statistics for any IMS control region in the enterprise.
- Dynamically updates options by disabling all compression or specific compression/elimination functions for field merge, blanks or non-display fields.
- Enables a trace for a specific node, LTERM or user, allowing the system programmer or support personnel to review the actual data stream, or display the end user’s 3270 screen image. By viewing the user’s screen, support personnel can much more easily determine the nature of a problem.
IMS Network Compression Facility for z/OS resources
- IMS Tools Product Library
This library provides links to the IMS Tools user's guides, technical articles, program directories, IBM Redbook publications, and other related technical content for IMS Tools. These documents are available in PDF, HTML, and BookManager formats.