Determine the impact of buffer pool change without guesswork
The IBM IMS™ Buffer Pool Analyzer for z/OS® provides statistical analysis reporting that helps evaluate current IMS online and batch job database buffer pools. It provides the information required to determine if changes to your buffer pool configuration would benefit information management performance. Based on this data, your organization can optimize performance and eliminate guesswork from the database buffer pool change process.
The IMS Buffer Pool Analyzer for z/OS software benefits your organization with these features:
- Improves performance by reviewing the buffer pool environment and recommending changes to the number of buffers in each subpool.
- Provides information on the efficiency of OSAM cached buffers in a coupling facility, showing the effect of changing the amount of storage allocated to OSAM buffers in CF.
- Models user changes to the buffer pool configuration to obtain visibility to any impacts before they are implemented.
- Identifies wasted storage and determine if adding or subtracting buffers will improve the performance of a selected buffer pool.
- Determines which databases most heavily use each subpool, performing a “what if” scenarios analysis, offering the impact of a change before it is implemented.
The IMS Buffer Pool Analyzer for z/OS tool provides a report for each subpool that shows:
- Subpool information, including the pool configuration, buffer request rate, and actual performance information.
- Database information, including a list of all database data sets with activity in that subpool, along with the hit ratio, buffer request rate, and I/O rate for each data set.
- Projections for various buffer pool sizes that show subpool hit ratio, I/O rate, and buffer life.
- Comparative number calculated to help evaluate subpool performance for each buffer pool size projection. The marginal reduction shows which subpools would reduce I/O the most, per 1 KB of storage added to the pool.
IMS Buffer Pool Analyzer for z/OS resources
- IMS Tools Product Library
This library provides links to the IMS Tools user's guides, technical articles, program directories, IBM Redbook publications, and other related technical content for IMS Tools. These documents are available in PDF, HTML, and BookManager formats.