Automate common tasks and expedite fixing common operational problems
IBM® Runbook Automation is software as a service (SaaS) that enables organizations to create and execute runbooks and automated tasks for faster, more repeatable and consistent problem resolution. Operators can focus on critical needs with automatically reduced and consolidated alerts, receive guidance with recommended actions and pre-filled context and improve reliability with the information needed to act quickly and consistently.
With IBM Runbook Automation, you can:
- Increase efficiency by eliminating noise and running lean operations.
- Improve effectiveness by solving problems faster and running agile operations.
- Strengthen reliability by controlling your operations with consistent and automated responses.
IBM Runbook Automation helps you:
- Create and execute runbooks, event-triggered guidance and automated tasks for faster, consistent problem investigation, diagnosis and resolution.
- Author and enable runbook execution for manual runbooks, semi-automated runbooks and fully automated runbooks to support varying skill sets and resource availability.
- Use runbook execution tracking statistics to identify opportunities for implementing automation and track progression of improvements.
Create and execute runbooks, event-triggered guidance and automated tasks
- Enable event-triggered automation and knowledge capture for critical operations management workflows.
- Create, test and publish operational automation through guided runbooks.
- Create incremental push-button automation up to full hands-off automation.
- Configure an event trigger to enable events in the IBM Netcool® OMNIbus event management tool to direct the IT operator and other operations staff to the runbooks relevant to the event.
Author and enable runbook execution for manual runbooks, semi-automated runbooks and fully automated runbooks
- Manual runbook: Describes the exact manually driven procedures an operator has to follow using standard tools.
- Semi-automated runbook: Describes exactly what an operator has to do, with the added benefit of pre-defined automated steps—operator simply pushes a button to execute an automated task on a target system.
- Fully Automated runbook: Selected by the system in response to a trigger and executed without operator attention.
Use runbook execution tracking statistics to identify opportunities
- As operations teams use runbooks and follow guided steps, activity is tracked automatically as each step is completed.
- Once the entire activity is completed, users can click to rate their experience and provide feedback to the runbook authors.
IBM Runbook Automation resources