Business rule development and decision automation for mainframe applications
IBM® Operational Decision Manager Advanced for z/OS® is designed to be a comprehensive and easy-to-use platform that allows you to detect situations in real time. It can capture, automate and manage frequently occurring, repeatable business decisions. You are able to better identify opportunities, respond to market demands, minimize risks and operate consistently.
IBM Operational Decision Manager Advanced for z/OS separates critical decision logic from mainframe application code to help ease the change management, implementation and governance of decision automation.
It also provides lifecycle support for business decisions invoked from COBOL, PL/I and Java applications executing in CICS, IMS™ and Batch environments. This includes capabilities for decision testing and simulation within either the Rule Execution Server (RES) in IBM WebSphere® Application Server for z/OS or the zRule Execution Server (zRES) for z/OS environments, as well as the ability to trace the execution of how a business decision is made in the zRule Execution Server using the Decision Warehouse feature.
IBM is introducing the new Decision Server Insights component for creating events-based solutions to build situation context and apply insight to optimize decisions at the time of interaction.
IBM Operational Decision Manager Advanced for z/OS provides:
- Natural-language business rules with collaborative decision maintenance and governance to help define deploy and update business logic while promoting consistent use of decision logic.
- Open standards-based development tools that simplify deployment and maintenance.
- Multiple business-rule execution choices for z/OS customers who have Java, Enterprise COBOL, and PL/I applications, running as Batch, IBM IMS™ Batch, IMS Message Processing Programs or hosted within IBM CICS®.
- Incremental modernization of existing CICS, IBM IMS and batch applications without a complete rewrite.
- Integration with IBM products that extend existing technologies and disciplines to include IBM Operational Decision Manager decision services.
Natural-language business rules with collaborative decision maintenance and governance
- Enables business users to author and edit their own business vocabulary and logic rules.
- End-to-end simulation capabilities empower business stakeholders to define key performance indicators (KPI), simulation scenarios and custom graphical reports – with little or no support from IT.
- Supplies business users with templates, point-and-click editors, error checking and version management.
- Combines interrelated rules to define complex and variable decisions.
- Takes advantage of configurable smart folders, filters and reports to execute and monitor rule-based processes, applications and transactions.
- Strengthens rule quality with customizable queries, rule analysis, visual comparisons of changes and integrated testing and simulation capabilities.
Open standards-based development tools
- Provides a unified application development environment that can synchronize technical requirements with the Decision Center for z/OS repository.
- Deploys and executes applications running on IBM WebSphere Application Server for z/OS using Java 2, Enterprise Edition (J2EE)-compliant and service-oriented architecture (SOA)-based decision services.
- Uses the zRule Execution Server to provide a separate yet highly integrated runtime capability for COBOL and PL/I applications.
Multiple business-rule execution choices
- Offers an option for the Rule Execution Server on IBM WebSphere® Application Server for z/OS.
- Provides high availability and scalability through the underlying application server while offering a suite of decision management services.
- Allows the ability to consume COBOL, PL/I or Java data structures directly to facilitate integration with existing applications deployed on respective supported configurations.
- Offers an option for zRule Execution Server for z/OS that provides local integration with existing COBOL and PL/I applications.
- Provides an interface so COBOL and PL/I applications can call directly into the rule execution server.
- Helps you gradually tackle modernization.
- Allows for modernizing one rule at a time – bringing it into a central business rule repository for external management.
- Minimizes the need to re-architect or rewrite applications.
- Helps you see the value of the technology almost immediately.
Integration with IBM products
- Provides batch integration with IBM WebSphere Extended Deployment Compute Grid for Java batch and IBM IMS™ support.
- Supports CICS integration with hosting the zRule Execution Server with the CICS environment.
- Allows IBM Business Monitor native integration for sending and receiving events and messages provides richer, more graphical reporting capabilities.
- Supports Rational Developer integration to help you more easily architect, design and develop robust applications and mine for potential rules.
- Allows IBM Business Process Manager integration to create more agile business processes. It does this by externalizing decision logic and integration options with IBM Integration Bus. It lets software architects and developers to more easily integrate IBM Operational Decision Manager decision services.
Video: Optimizing Decision Management with IBM WebSphere and z Systems™
See how to achieve a common dialogue between business and IT, resulting in faster and more consistent business decisions.
Watch Video (00:02:37)
IBM Operational Decision Manager Advanced for z/OS