Enable your COBOL applications to exploit the latest z/Architecture
The IBM® Enterprise COBOL for z/OS® compiler exploits the latest z/Architecture® to maximize hardware utilization and improve your application performance. The compiler also helps you integrate COBOL and web-based business processes with web services, JSON, XML, Java and COBOL applications. It provides both XML and Java interoperability, including flexibility and control of the XML-generated documents.
IBM Enterprise COBOL for z/OS compiler provides:
- Increased return on hardware and middleware investments for improved application performance with leading-edge optimization technology and exploitation of the latest IBM z Systems hardware and middleware including CICS®, IMS™ and DB2®.
- New application modernization capabilities with proven features which have been extended to support web, cloud, and mobile infrastructures, while reducing cost, risk and cycle time.
- Improved productivity with new usability features with simplified programming and problem determination and support for modern development tools supplied by IBM and ISVs.
- Compatibility with previous z Systems COBOL releases with no need to recompile an entire application to use features from the latest release.
Increased return on hardware and middleware investments
- Exploitation of the IBM z13 server by Enterprise COBOL for z/OS is validated with the latest IBM middleware.
- The ARCH compiler option allows you to have the Enterprise COBOL for z/OS compiler exploit higher levels of the z/Architecture.
- The OPTIMIZE compiler option allows you to obtain multiple levels of increasing optimization that run from comprehensive low-level optimizations to more extensive optimizations that can improve the performance of your COBOL applications.
- Enterprise COBOL for z/OS facilitates application integration and modernization by delivering the latest programming interfaces to middleware.
New application modernization capabilities
- Enterprise COBOL for z/OS supports features from the ISO COBOL 2002 standard and IBM extensions to COBOL.
- The compiler provides better control in generation of XML documents.
- Enterprise COBOL for z/OS supports unbounded tables and groups, and improves the usability in defining variable length tables particularly when you define COBOL group structures that correspond to XML documents.
- Enterprise COBOL for z/OS improves Java interoperability to help you incorporate new and web-based applications as part of your business processes.
- Enterprise COBOL for z/OS now supports generation of JSON texts.
Improved productivity with new usability features
- Enterprise COBOL for z/OS provides improved capability for programming with UTF-8 Unicode for better national language support in your applications.
- With the support for z/OS System Management Facilities (SMF) records, you can reduce system management overhead in sub capacity usage reporting.
- This compiler integrates with IBM Rational® Developer for System z, IBM Rational Team Concert™ and IBM Problem Determination Tools for z/OS.
- The compiler supports various development tools supplied by ISVs. For detailed information, see the data sheet and COBOL library.
Compatibility with previous System z COBOL releases
- The Enterprise COBOL for z/OS compiler gives you a migration path from OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, IBM COBOL for MVS & VM, and IBM COBOL for OS/390® & VM.
- Compile and run without modification, while updating existing applications to take advantage of t new functions and performance improvements.
- Enterprise COBOL programs using valid data are supported by the new compiler without requiring source code changes.
Enterprise COBOL for z/OS resources
- Enterprise COBOL Developer Trial for z/OS
The trial version of Enterprise COBOL for z/OS includes a 90-day, no-charge, evaluation license which does not initiate any single version charging (SVC), allows you to assess the potential value of upgrading to the latest version of Enterprise COBOL for z/OS.
- IBM COBOL Café Community & Forum
Find the latest technical and business information, and educational information about COBOL and related z/OS, IBM i and AIX COBOL topics - including IMS, CICS, Rational Developer for System z, Rational Developer for Power, and HATS.