Create, maintain and modernize applications on IBM i
IBM® Rational® Developer for i is an integrated development environment (IDE) built on the Eclipse platform. Designed for creating and maintaining applications on IBM i systems, it resides on the developer’s desktop, supporting development in both host-connected and disconnected modes.
The three editions of IBM Rational Developer for i represent the evolutions of products previously marketed under the following names: IBM Rational Developer for Power Systems Software RPG and COBOL Tools for i, IBM Rational Developer for Power Systems Software Power Tools for i, and IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA Construction.
Rational Developer for i helps derive more value from software development resources.
- Increased developer productivity —using a rich set of development tools.
- Increased business agility—by integrating the development tools into the widely used Eclipse framework, and by supporting multiple approaches to RPG and COBOL application modernization.
- Increased team efficiency— enabled through integration with IBM Rational Team Concert™ to support planning and management of the application lifecycle process.
- Flexible packaging— offers three purchase options:
RPG and COBOL Tools
RPG and COBOL + Modernization Tools, Java Edition
RPG and COBOL + Modernization Tools, EGL Edition
Increased developer productivity
- Integrated development tools provide search, edit, build, analysis, refactoring capabilities and debuggers (including server-side agents), as well as integration with the optimizing IBM i compilers.
- Remote System Explorer connects with IBM i servers for searching and managing server-side files and running server scripts.
- Language-aware source editing capabilities include color tokenizing, outline views, content assist and integrated compile error feedback.
- Visual analysis tools assist in understanding application structure and dependencies.
Increased business agility
- A familiar, modern Eclipse-based development environment helps reduce training time, recruiting new talent to work on heritage RPG and COBOL applications.
- Rational Developer for i supports a wide range of programming models and languages including Java, Java EE, C/C++, RPG, COBOL, CL and DDS
- The user experience is common across other Rational IDEs for System z, AIX and Linux.
- It supports multiple approaches to modernizing RPG and COBOL applications, including IBM Host Access Transformation Services (HATS), wizards for service-enabling the business logic in heritage applications, and Rational Open Access RPG Edition for making resources outside of the IBM i environment accessible to RPG applications.
Increased team efficiency
- Rational Team Concert is lifecycle management software that supports geographically dispersed teams.
- This common platform includes agile, formal, and hybrid planning and reporting.
- Integration with Rational Team Concert helps enable source control, build automation and collaborative lifecycle management of IBM i projects.
All three editions of Rational Developer for i include tools to support C, C++, CL, DDS, and SQL development on IBM i:
- RPG and COBOL Tools.
- RPG and COBOL + Modernization Tools, Java Edition—includes a rich subset of the Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software product, including support for the latest version of the WebSphere Application Server Liberty profile and enhancements to tools for developing web and mobile web application front ends.
- RPG and COBOL + Modernization Tools, EGL Edition—includes Rational Developer for i RPG and COBOL Tools, V9.0 and Rational Business Developer.
Rational Developer for i resources