Develop, deploy and distribute DB2 at no charge
IBM® DB2® Express-C is a no-charge community edition of DB2 database software, which provides the core features of more scalable DB2 editions. It is designed for ease of use and fast setup, and is ideal for academia, small businesses and multi-branch companies.
For more advanced features such as DB2 pureScale and BLU Acceleration, the solution can be upgraded without requiring modification to your applications.
For users who require technical support or additional functions, DB2 Workgroup Server Edition and DB2 Direct Standard Edition are more suitable options.
DB2 Express-C offers these features and benefits:
- Provides advanced security to protect your data.
- Uses Time Travel Query to provide bi-temporal data management.
- Delivers an integrated tools environment with IBM Data Studio for easier management and development.
- Contains the SQL compatibility feature to more easily run applications written for other databases on DB2.
Provides advanced security
- Protects data in transit and at rest to help ensure sensitive data is encrypted at all times.
- Includes row and column access control for deeper security.
Uses Time Travel Query
- Allows data to be queried as it currently exists at points in the past, or as it will be at a point in the future.
- Provides the infrastructure for time-aware analytics to run time-specific queries.
- Helps reduce the complexity of collecting and analyzing time-based data while offering performance and management benefits.
Delivers an integrated tools environment
- IBM Data Studio (downloaded separately) delivers an integrated, modular environment for database development and administration.
- Enables developers and administrators to create and manage heterogeneous database environments for increased productivity.
Contains the SQL Compatibility feature
- Can reduce the risk and cost associated with database migration.
- Runs applications built to work with comparable Oracle databases on DB2 with few or no code changes.
- Makes data server consolidation easier and helps reduce operational costs.