Make data available to desktop applications—without using a gateway
IBM DB2 Connect Personal Edition makes your organization’s mainframe and iSeries data directly available to your desktop applications. It enables you to directly access data stored on multiple systems — without using a gateway. It includes IBM Data Studio and the InfoSphere Optim pureQuery Runtime environment, which can significantly improve the way databases are developed, tested and deployed.
IBM DB2 Connect Personal Edition helps you:
- Speed application development, impact analysis and problem resolution—using the IBM Data Studio, Java application developers can achieve up to 50 percent productivity improvement.
- Optimize performance of new or existing applications—you gain development tuning for web-enabled mainframe functionality and accelerated performance of Java code.
- Enable connectivity—this solution provides the application programming interfaces (APIs) and connectivity infrastructure you need to make your data directly available to desktop applications.
Speed application development, impact analysis and problem resolution
- IBM Data Studio provides an Eclipse-based environment for building database objects, queries and database logic including stored procedures and user-defined functions for IBM DB2, IBM Informix and Oracle databases.
- It also provides a seamless Java SQL experience, including SQL assistance, validation, execution and analysis. Java developers can take advantage of contextual assistance for defining and debugging data routines.
- Drag-and-drop features enable fast creation of web services. Developers can quickly and easily customize a data access layer using Java objects, JSON or XML.
- Unique in the industry, IBM Data Studio provides an SQL outline that correlates application SQL with the Java code that executes it and the database objects it references.
- Using the SQL outline for rapid problem resolution, developers can trace SQL statements back to the originating line in the source application, even if the SQL was generated using a framework. In addition, developers can instantly see all the SQL that is affected by proposed changes.
- You can use Data Studio to visualize the impact of database changes. When you want to provision test data, you can immediately visualize privacy policies associated with source data.
Optimize performance of new and existing applications
- DB2 Connect Personal Edition includes the IBM InfoSphere Optim Query Tuner. Developers can capture and visualize potential query hotspots to identify which queries are executed most frequently or take the most time. InfoSphere Optim Query Tuner provides expert recommendations to help tune queries for optimal performance.
- It also includes the InfoSphere Optim pureQuery Runtime environment, which enhances the performance of existing in-house database client applications written using Java, C or .NET. This high-performance data access platform helps with rapid development and deployment of new applications, and optimizes database applications and services.
- DB2 Connect Personal Edition also includes the IBM Developer Kit, Java Technology Edition. This developer kit and runtime environment contains IBM’s just-in-time complier enhanced with a unique Mixed Mode Interpreter and a re-engineered Java 2 virtual machine.
- DB2 Connect Personal Edition is well-suited for typical two-tier applications and environments where native TCP/IP support is available and an intermediate server is not desirable.
- This solution is appropriate for processing requests that are likely to return large result sets. It delivers the best returns available in environments that do not require advanced functions such as mobility on demand, federated database support, server-based monitoring or connection concentrator.
- It provides the API drives and connectivity infrastructure to enable direct connectivity from Windows and Linux desktop applications to mainframe and eServer iSeries database servers.
- The software helps you connect directly to data stored in IBM DB2 for OS/390, DB2 for i5/OS, DB2 for VSE & VM, or any DRDA-compliant database server.