Connectivity for client/server applications in large-scale environments
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition connects LAN-based systems and their desktop applications to your company's mainframe and minicomputer host databases. Now you can consolidate your host access through a gateway that makes it easy to deploy web and multitier applications. This solution includes IBM Data Studio and the InfoSphere Optim pureQuery Runtime environment, which can significantly improve the way databases are developed, tested and deployed.
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition helps you:
- Optimize performance of new or existing applications — take advantage of development tuning for web-enabled mainframe functionality and accelerated performance of Java code.
- Access your information no matter where it is stored — consolidate access and gain connectivity from a variety of desktop systems. You also benefit from application enablement and a highly scalable communications infrastructure.
- Simplify application development — save time by developing applications that work across different DB2 data servers and keep your developers on the leading edge of Java technology.
- Reduce administration costs — give your IT staff more time to support your business needs with advances in performance, manageability and installation combined with autonomic administration features.
Optimize performance of new and existing applications
- Using the IBM InfoSphere Optim Query Tuner, developers can capture and visualize potential query hotspots to identify which queries are executed most frequently or take the most time. InfoSphere Optim Query Tuner provides expert recommendations to help tune queries for optimal performance.
- InfoSphere Optim pureQuery Runtime provides a runtime environment and application programming interface (API) that enhances the performance of existing in-house database client applications written using Java, C or .NET. This high-performance data access platform helps with rapid development and deployment of new applications, and optimizes database applications and services.
- You can manage large-scale environments with features such as mobility on demand, federated database support, server-based monitoring or connection concentrator, and associated load-balancing and fail-over support.
Access your information no matter where it is stored
- Your organization can get comprehensive connectivity from a variety of desktop systems including workgroup, departmental and LAN-based systems to mainframes and iSeries database servers.
- DB2 Connect supports enterprises that have made DB2 on IBM eServer zSeries and eServer iSeries servers the cornerstone of their on-demand business solution. It provides application enablement and a highly scalable communications infrastructure for connecting web, Microsoft Windows, UNIX, Linux and mobile applications to data.
- DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition includes web-enabling functions so Internet or intranet users can access the host through the gateway.
- It is suited for environments where the host system does not support native TCP/IP and platforms such as UNIX where DB2 Connect Personal Edition is not available. It is also designed for applications that need support for Java applets and TP Monitor applications. These include IBM CICS, Encina, Microsoft Transaction Server and IBM WebSphere MQ.
Simplify application development
- An enhanced set of application development tools simplifies database application development and eases application deployment, including a new DB2 Developer Workbench and enhanced functionality for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005.
- DB2 Connect also introduces a unified debugger, rapid application deployment with a lightweight runtime client, and many other features that allow you to save time and develop applications that work across different DB2 data servers.
- Significant enhancements to the IBM DB2 Driver for JDBC and SQLJ have been made that keep developers on the leading edge of Java technology.
- Improvements to DB2 Connect federation capabilities simplify the programming challenge by adding support for two-phase commit capabilities for multi-vendor data sources.
Reduce administration costs
- Time-saving features include non-administrator installation on Windows, response file installation enhancements, and support for coexistence of multiple copies of the DB2 database system. Now your IT staff can spend more time supporting your business needs instead of installing and deploying database systems.
- Autonomic features include adaptive self-tuning memory allocation and object maintenance policy wizards for DB2 Universal Database for z/OS. They reduce the time required to administer and tune your database system.