An entry-level budget friendly database system, designed for small and medium businesses
IBM® DB2® Express Server Edition (DB2 Express) will no longer be available for purchase starting on September 23, 2016. This offering will not be part of the introduction for DB2 11.1 for Linux, UNIX and Windows family. Existing DB2 Express license holders can replace those licenses and continue support with DB2 Workgroup Server Edition.
DB2 Express Server Edition offers these features and benefits:
- Bi-temporal data management using the time travel query feature.
- Always on Transactions using High Availability and Disaster Recovery (HADR) to minimize data loss.
- Enhanced security through Row and column and Label based access control features.
- Flexible application development and management, including an integrated tools environment, and SQL compatibility features to help you develop, manage, migrate and standardize diverse data assets.
- Future proof versatility with NoSQL Graph Store support.
Bi-temporal data management
- Provides the infrastructure for time-aware analytics to run time-specific queries. This helps reduce the operational complexity of collecting and analyzing time-based data.
- Allows data to be queried as currently exists at any points in the past, or as it will be at some point in the future.
Always on Transactions
- Helps ensure that critical databases remain available around the clock. HADR allows rapid failover from a primary or standby server and requires little time to set up.
- Allows multiple HADR standby databases.
- Multiple standby setup helps to protect your data while keeping it highly available, with a single technology.
- Supports replication at the schema level. This means that any newly created table is set up for replication.
- Includes label-based access control to help you secure data access and control security risks.
- Offers row and column access control to help you regulate data access at the row level or column level, or both. This feature can be used to complement the table privileges model.
Flexible application development and management
- Includes IBM Data Studio, which provides an integrated, modular environment for database development and administration of IBM DB2 for Linux, UNIX and Windows.
- Enables you to create and manage heterogeneous database environments to help increase productivity.
- Includes a SQL compatibility feature to help simplify and reduce the risk of database migration. For applications running on comparable Oracle databases, requires few or no code changes to run on DB2.
Future proof versatility
- Using NoSQL Graph Store, provides an optimized way to store and work with graph triples inside DB2.
- Allows you to store graph triples with the added benefits of ACID compliance, data compression, parallel execution, load balancing, backup and recovery and advanced security.
DB2 Express Server Edition resources