IBM CICS® Universal Client provides desktop-based application integration functions by facilitating communication between workstation applications and multiple CICS servers.
Enables access to CICS systems - including IBM CICS Transaction Server and IBM TXSeries™ - from single-user workstations.
- Independently configured clients support a workstation's existing interfaces to improve usability and productivity-without changing the back-end application.
- Provides programming interfaces in C/C++, Microsoft® Visual Basic and COBOL and offers IP-based or SNA-based communication.
- Communicates with CICS servers through the external call interface (ECI), external presentation interface (EPI) and the external security interface (ESI).
- Helps optimize client and server operation via the ECI: Improves programmer flexibility; Keeps business logic on the server and presentation logic on the client; Applications can be easily written to connect PC workstations with CICS servers.
- The CICS Universal Client is for single users only, either for desktop application access or as a single user administrative client. It must not be installed in a server or multi-user environment.