Manage and control software assets using configuration management solutions
IBM® Rational® ClearCase® is an enterprise-grade configuration management system that provides controlled access to software assets, including requirements, design documents, models, test plans and test results. It be can be integrated with other IBM solutions, including IBM Rational Team Concert™, IBM Rational ClearQuest®, IBM Rational Asset Manager and IBM Rational Application Developer for WebSphere® Software.
IBM Rational ClearCase provides:
- Version control and workspace management—manages files, directories and other development assets across the lifecycle.
- Advanced parallel development—includes automatic branching and advanced merging and differencing technology.
- Effective IP security—offers electronic signatures, user authentication for security-rich and controlled access, and audit trails to help meet compliance and governance requirements.
- Authoritative build auditing—helps to streamline the edit-build-debug cycle and reproduce software versions.
- Integration with popular development tools—includes Eclipse, Visual Studio and Cadence Virtuoso.
Version control and workspace management
- Provides controlled access to software assets, including requirements, design documents, models, test plans and test results.
- Manages and controls source code, libraries, documentation, binaries, web artifacts and virtually any project artifact that can be represented as digital content.
- Supports thousands of users, working at dozens of sites, managing terabytes of data.
- Provides development and integration models, private workspaces and public integration areas that allow you to work independently, yet collaborate effectively with the team.
- Allows you to delete previous versions, create and delete branches, list version histories, and compare and merge versions.
Advanced parallel development
- Facilitates more effective configuration management with improvements in performance, security, usability, integration and deployment.
- Increases productivity with parallel development support, automated workspace management, asset reuse and activity-based change management.
- Provides extensive support for parallel development, enabling developers to work on the same code base or release, more easily resolve conflicts and reduce confusion.
- Isolates specific changes or versions, allowing multiple developers on the same and different teams to work independently from the same code base.
- Creates applications more rapidly using parallel development support, automated workspace management and baseline management.
Effective IP security
- Helps ensure high-quality code with security-rich version management and reliable build auditing.
- Shows user authentication and audit trails to help your organization meet compliance requirements with minimal administrative hassle.
- Provides a robust centralized repository where development assets are captured and versioned in a security-rich way.
- Uses access control to help ensure that only authorized individuals make changes.
- Provides access virtually anytime, anywhere to give you the freedom to work efficiently where and when needed.
Authoritative build auditing
- Helps to prevent mistakes, reduce bugs and identify errors earlier in the delivery cycle to resolve issues more quickly.
- Provides dynamic views for transparent access to versions of elements on the network.
- Provides snapshot views to use local copies of file versions while disconnected from the network.
- Reduces the time you and your teammates have to spend chasing down compilation and convergence issues.
- Decreases errors that can delay downstream testing and deployment activities.
Integration with popular development tools
- Provides dynamic views optimized for wide area network (WAN) environments.
- Connects more easily to IBM Rational Team Concert and IBM Rational ClearQuest, and integrates with other third-party change management tools.
- Allows for access from various environments and locations—desktop clients provide IBM Rational ClearCase functionality in a flexible Microsoft Windows interface while remote and web clients use a WAN.
- Integrates with leading integrated development environments (IDEs), including the IBM Rational Application Developer for IBM WebSphere Software environment, the open source Eclipse framework and Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, so you can work within your chosen environment.
- Provides third-party integration to Atlassian JIRA to more easily establish and maintain traceability relationships between JIRA records and IBM Rational ClearCase assets under source control.
IBM Rational ClearCase Resources