IBM® Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM enables you to back up and restore files and data on z/VM systems – and images of non-z/VM guest systems, such as Linux.
It ensures system and data is available by using simplified facilities for file, minidisks, Shared File System file spaces and full system data backups and restores. It can perform backup and restore functions more efficiently by optimizing operations for each data type. It also provides a flexible file selection with support for wildcard characters.
IBM Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM:
It provides support for:
Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM
IBM Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM provides exit points during both backup and restore processing to allow customers to review and modify the data being backed up or restored. This function supports optional data compression and data encryption.
For data compression, two sample routines are included in Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM:
For data encryption, customers can provide their own routines. Using the exit points provided, customers can perform data encryption during backup and data decryption throughout restore operations. Customers can also use routines provided by vendors, such as V/Soft Software's Encrypt/Backup.
Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM runs on hardware that meets the minimum specifications of the supported operating environment. All prerequisites and corequisites for these products apply.
The following materials are available for Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM:
- Publications for Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM V1.3
- Publications for Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM V1.2
- Fact Sheet
- PapersMethods to pause a z/VM guest: Optimize the resource utilization of idling servers.
Contains information on the SUSPEND and RESME functions in Linux, which may be useful during backups.
Using z/VM V6.2 Single System Image (SSI) and Live Guest Relocation (LGR).
Chapter 8 discusses Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM in an SSI environment.
How Do IBM Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM and IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Back Up z/VM and Linux on System z Environments?
Assists in planning for full system and incremental backup capabilities.
- PresentationsOptions for Backing Up and Restoring z/VM and Linux on z Systems (PDF, 865KB)
Includes demo scenarios. Email Tracy Dean if you would like the full presentation with screenshots.
IBM Solutions for Managing z/VM and Linux on System z (PDF, 1.41MB), including demo scenarios.
Getting Started with V1.3 of IBM Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM on z/VM V6.2 or V6.3 (PDF, 1.2MB)
Getting Started with V1.2 of IBM Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM on z/VM V5.4 (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Data protection and storage management
- Archive Manager for z/VM
- Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM
- IBM Spectrum Control Advanced Edition
- IBM Spectrum Protect for Databases
- IBM Spectrum Protect for Mail
- IBM Spectrum Protect for SAN
- IBM Spectrum Protect for Space Management
- IBM Spectrum Protect for Virtual Environments
- IBM Spectrum Protect for Workstations
- IBM Spectrum Protect HSM for Windows
- IBM Spectrum Protect
- IBM Spectrum Protect Snapshot
- IBM Spectrum Protect Suite
- IBM Virtual Storage Center
- Tape Manager for z/VM
- Tivoli Advanced Allocation Management
- Tivoli Advanced Audit for DFSMShsm
- Tivoli Advanced Backup and Recovery for z/OS
- Tivoli Advanced Catalog Management for z/OS
- Tivoli Advanced Storage Management Suite for z/OS
- Tivoli Automated Tape Allocation Manager for z/OS
- Tivoli Business Continuity Process Manager
- Tivoli Continuous Data Protection for Files
- Tivoli Output Manager for z/OS
- Tivoli Storage Manager for System Backup and Recovery
- Tivoli Storage Manager for z/OS Media
- Tivoli Tape Optimizer on z/OS
- TotalStorage SAN Volume Controller
Not in United States?