Now Symphony Beta 3 is available on the website after six weeks since Beta 2 . Many people may ask what's new in Beta 3 and what features we add in Beta 3. OK, let's take a look.
Lots of people have been asking for the multi-language version since Symphony Beta 1 was released. Now I'm happy to say that it is made available in Beta 3. The English version of Beta 3 was released yesterday and multi-language version of Beta 3 will be available very soon in just couple of weeks. Thanks for the hard work of the development team -- 24 languages ( including English ) are supported. Users will have the translated menu.
National Language support is the focus of Beta 3. But we also did much work in other areas. We took effort to improve the usability of presentation editor in Beta 3.
- Many people wanted more properties on sidebar in Beta 2. In Beta 3, We added graphic, shape and page properties which will be extensively used in presentation editor.
- We added shortcut key "F5" for starting screen show, which conforms to the habit of most users. Moreover, "Shift+F5" is added to enable user to start screen show from the current page.
Also new features and improvement are added into Symphony:
- Auto-save feature is now available in Beta 3. The interval of auto-saving can be set in "File->Preferences->File Supervision". Now we needn't to worry about that our work isn't saved when accident happens to our computer. What's more, even if exception occurs, Symphony still can recover the document to the status that was auto-saved last time.
- Symphony now can export a presentation as HTML or JPEG format. This feature is convenient to share presentation to those who have no presentation editor.
- In Beta 3, user can import an external file into his spreadsheet through "Manipulate->Import External Data->From File". The supported external file formats are formatted text file ( *.csv and *.txt ), ODF spreadsheet file ( *.ods ) and Microsoft Excel file ( *.xls ).
Performance is always one of the issues that users care most. We made performance improvement for action of splitting a big paragraph in Lotus Document. The performance of this scenario improves up to 30% in some test cases.
We made improvement to the installation process.
- Build to build upgrade is supported in Beta 3. That means if you want install Beta 3, you don't need to uninstall the old one manually.
- Accessibility support of the windows installer. Install panels high contrast display, keyboard navigation and accessibility software such as JAWS are supported.
Help is enhanced in Beta 3 too. Now we can search topics which are not listed in the table of content.
Last but not least, we have added some enhancement to the Symphony website. You can now add comments to a Team Blog or a Buzz entry. You can also invite a friend to use Symphony by sending an email from the Symphony website.
OK, these are all the new items that I can list for Beta 3. Now please upgrade your Symphony to Beta 3 and again we'd love to hear your feedback!