Select a topic or year
LAS VEGAS, NEV. - 19 May 2014: At the IBM Edge2014 conference, IBM (NYSE: IBM) today released preliminary study findings of 750 global organizations revealing less than 10 percent are fully prepared to address the proliferation of cloud computing, analytics, mobile devices and social media.
Addressing this challenge head-on, IBM is unveiling new systems, software and capabilities designed to help organizations create smarter infrastructures that yield faster access to Big Data insights through the cloud and improved business performance.
“Big Data is the transformative force driving every element of our clients’ computing infrastructure – starting with environments of traditional applications blended with the new requirements of social, mobile and analytic workloads that demand faster access at massive scale,” said Tom Rosamilia, Senior Vice President of IBM Systems & Technology Group and IBM Integrated Supply Chain. “The continued advances of our portfolio provide clients with a fast and easy way to close the gap between their data, the business decisions they have to make, and the mandate to use information to provide more personalized experiences for their customers.”
The IBM preliminary findings revealed that 70 percent of organizations recognize that IT infrastructure plays a significant role in enabling competitive advantage or generating revenue. To learn more about the IBV “IT Infrastructure Matters” survey, visit here.
New Storage Advances for Fast Data Access
Building on last week’s Software Defined Storage launch, in which IBM announced new software that enables organizations to access any data from any device and from anywhere in the world, the company today announced new and enhanced capabilities across its storage portfolio. Advances in its Storwize, XIV, tape library and Flash storage products can optimize storage for large-scale cloud deployments through virtualization, real-time compression, easy-tiering and mirroring, and provide clients fast access to information. Available in the second quarter, the new high-performance storage solutions include:
- IBM Storwize V7000 Unified has been enhanced with new clustering capabilities, Real-time Compression, and Active Cloud Engine to help clients manage growing amounts of data. The system now supports two times the storage capacity of previous models, or 4 petabytes;
- IBM XIV Cloud Storage for Service Providers delivers a cost-efficient infrastructure and pay-per-use pricing model for Business Partners that reduces the initial cost of the system by as much as 40 percent. Also, IBM previewed new features such as XIV multi-tenancy, enhanced data security and improved cloud economics through the partition of XIV storage into logical domains assigned to distinct tenants;
- TS4500 Tape Library enables large-scale cloud deployments with a data architecture that maintains high utilization and can back up three times more cloud data in the same footprint;
- IBM DS8870 Flash enclosure offers up to three and one-half times faster flash performance requiring 50 percent less space and 12 percent less energy.
In related storage news, scientists at IBM Research - Zurich, in cooperation with the FUJIFILM Corporation of Japan, announced they have demonstrated 85.9 billion bits per square inch, a new record in areal data density on low-cost linear magnetic particulate tape – a significant update to one of the computer industry's most resilient, reliable and affordable data storage technologies for Big Data. To learn more about the critical technologies developed by IBM Researchers to achieve this record, visit here.
New IBM Flex System X6 Compute Nodes for Fast, Agile, Resilient Infrastructure
Clients are seeking greater speed, agility and resiliency for the Big Data, analytics and large-scale virtualization for dynamic cloud environments. To meet these needs, today IBM introduced its new:
- IBM Flex System x880 X6 eight-socket, x480 X6 four-socket, and x280 X6 two-socket compute nodes. Based on IBM's industry-leading X6 architecture for System x and PureSystems solutions, the new nodes include modular blade design that enables seamless scalability without “rip and replace” as analytic workloads increase; nearly 300 percent faster performance ; and resiliency features and virtualization tools that can help reduce the cost and complexity of system operation and administration. The Flex System X6 compute nodes planned availability is June 13, 2014 and start at $15,700 (US) or $388 (US) per month for 36 months .
- IBM System x3100 M5, a new, compact tower server designed to provide advanced reliability and performance for small to mid-sized businesses and distributed environments. The x3100 M5 is equipped with the latest Intel Xeon E3-1200v3 processors for increased performance, and four levels of RAID for enhanced data protection . The System x3100 M5 planned availability is June 18, 2014 and starts at $755 (US).
- IBM PureFlex Solution for Parallels – MSP, designed to allow managed service providers to flexibly integrate Web, IaaS, SaaS, and core services for their clients quickly, efficiently and economically on the Parallels Automation software platform. The PureFlex Solution for Parallels – MSP is available today.
Infrastructure Matters with New Client Solution
Highlighting that infrastructure matters when data is the currency, IBM announced the following new client solutions:
- Kelsey-Seybold Clinic – Houston’s premier multi-specialty group practice and the nation’s first accredited Accountable Care Organization, recently turned to IBM to virtualize its infrastructure and simplify desktop management for nurses and clinicians, while speeding their access to increasing patient data volumes. The solution, which includes IBM Flex Systems, high-speed FlashSystems, and SAN Volume Controller software, as well as Atlantis ILIO, Citrix App-V and Epic software, was implemented with the assistance of premier IBM Business Partner Mark III. Since deployment, the clinic has experienced faster server speeds, the elimination of wasted storage capacity and storage cost savings.
IBM Global Financing helps clients acquire IBM solutions with a single financing solution to better manage their cloud and Big Data infrastructure, and accelerate business transformation. Financing programs and offerings help clients better match the benefits of reduced up front payments and faster return on investment within existing budget commitments. Credit-qualified clients may obtain zero percent loans or Fair Market Value leasing and loans with customized payment plans. IBM Global Asset Recovery Services provides buyback and disposal services for removal of older IT equipment. More information about IBM Global Financing is available here.
For more about IBM Storage and Systems, visit: http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/ or http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/storage/. For live updates throughout the IBM Edge2014 Conference, follow us on Twitter:
- IBM Edge: https://twitter.com/IBMEdge
- IBM Storage: https://twitter.com/IBMStorage
- IBM PureSystems: https://twitter.com/IBMPureSystems
- IBM System x: https://twitter.com/ibmsysxblade
IBM Research: https://twitter.com/IBMResearch
# # #
 300-percent performance improvement is based on average of projected results of SPECint*_rate_base2006 and SPECfp*_rate_base2006, plus projected performance gains from eXFlash DIMM storage. SPEC benchmark results will be available after 4/8/14. Configurations: 8-socket x880 X6 server using Intel Xeon processor E7-4890 v2 vs. 4-socket server using the previous top-of-the-line E7-4870 (v1).
 Per month rate based on 36 month fair market value lease from IBM Global Financing in the U.S. for well qualified lessee. IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the United States, IBM Canada Ltd. in Canada, and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to qualified commercial and government clients. Rates and availability are based on a client’s credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type and options, and may vary by country. Some offerings are not available in certain countries. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension or withdrawal without notice.
 Performance improvements based on comparison to previous generation of IBM System x3100 M4 server.
News about IBM solutions that turn information into actionable insights.
|IBM Cloud Computing
Gain access to your applications from anywhere, at any time.
Storage software, tape and disk innovations
Chemistry, computer science, electrical engineering, materials and mathematical sciences, physics and services science