Select a topic or year
ARMONK, N.Y. & DUBLIN, Ireland - 11 Nov 2010: Nine technology startups from around the globe are set to travel to Dublin, Ireland next week to compete in the IBM (NYSE: IBM) SmartCamp World Finals from November 16-18, 2010. The winner will claim the title of IBM Global Entrepreneur of the Year by successfully pitching their unique Smarter Planet business idea to a panel of industry experts.
Select portions of the three day SmartCamp World Finals event will be webcast live at www.livestream.com/ibmsoftware beginning at 10:00 a.m. GMT in Dublin on November 16.
IBM SmartCamps are one aspect of IBM's Global Entrepreneur initiative designed to stimulate innovation and build skills for startups from around the world that are building new technologies to tackle some of the world's most pressing issues such as energy efficiency, the environment, and personalized healthcare. SmartCamp winners receive mentoring, access to industry experts and technology, and deeper partnership opportunities from IBM, venture capital firms and industry partners.
The 2010 SmartCamp World finalists are:
- CareCloud- Enables a digital ecosystem for the healthcare industry on the Internet where participants can transact on a business level using rich applications designed to streamline business processes and provide full transparency into workflow.
- LindCom- Measures the contents of tanks and silos and reports measurements, via the Internet, to optimize and streamline the distribution and production of commodities.
- Panoramic Power- Developing an inexpensive, cloud-based service for precise and granular monitoring of electrical power that enables energy savings, failure prediction, preventive maintenance and submetering.
- Predect- A unique online water protection solution whose early warning system enables immediate action before infecting a population.
- Sproxil- Smart technology fighting counterfeit medicine in emerging countries, with cell phone technology used at point of purchase to validate genuine drugs.
- Streetline- Uses sensors that allow citizens to find inexpensive parking fast while helping cities manage their parking resources more efficiently.
- TreeMetrics- Creates 3D imaging technology that measures forests for optimum harvesting.
- VisioHost- Unites innovative technology with scientific and medical research by providing lifecycle solutions for the management and archiving of images.
- WorldSensing- Industrial wireless sensing in smart structures, smart cities and smart oil fields.
"These finalists represent the best and brightest thinking from the next generation of entrepreneurs," said Jim Corgel, general manager of IBM ISV and Developer Relations. "IBM welcomes these startups into its Business Partner ecosystem and looks forward to bringing the winning idea forward to our enterprise customers."
Startups who participate in IBM's Global Entrepreneur initiative receive access to free software, as well as a team of dedicated project managers to assist in product development through the global network of 38 IBM Innovation Centers.
More information about the SmartCamp World Finals is available on the SmartCamp blog at www.ibmsmartcamp.com.
Financial news, company earnings, philanthropy, community service, human resources, sponsorship
|Energy and the Environment
Images related to energy, environmental responsibility and climate change.
Images related to IBM's Smarter Planet initiative
Information Management, Lotus, Tivoli, Rational, WebSphere, Open standards, open source