Previous | Next

Hundred Percent Club "main tent"

Every year IBM recognizes the sales representatives...

Every year IBM recognizes the sales representatives...
Every year IBM recognizes the sales representatives who have achieved or exceeded their sales quota by inducting them into the Hundred Percent Club. The tradition began in 1925 when IBM president Thomas J. Watson, Sr., congratulated 52 qualifiers at IBM's first company wide sales convention, held in Atlantic City, N.J. From 1933 to 1939, the Clubs met in New York City's Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. In 1940, the Club site was switched to Endicott, N.Y., where the qualifiers were housed in a sprawling "Tent City" (see next image). Seen here in 1940, the Hundred Percenters are attending a business session in the "main tent" -- 38 feet high, 98 feet wide and 188 feet long; supported by four main masts -- a term IBMers still use today for an auditorium or large meeting room. (VV2054)