Previous | Next

Chicago branch office in 1932

The Computing-Tabulating-Recording Co. (later renamed IBM) opened its first office in Chicago in 1914.

The Computing-Tabulating-Recording Co. (later renamed IBM) opened its first office in Chicago in 1914.
The Computing-Tabulating-Recording Co. (later renamed IBM) opened its first office in Chicago in 1914. Over the years, the company occupied a number of facilities in the Windy City, including 233 West Market Street, seen here around 1932. This building housed employees of IBM's ITR (time equipment), TM (tabulating machines) and Scale Divisions, whose products are displayed in the lower front windows. IBM remained at Number 233 until 1947, when the branch was relocated to 616 South Michigan Avenue. Some 40 years later, IBM employed about 5,000 people in the Chicago area, most of whom worked in seven consolidated locations, including three within the city limits. (VV2040)