Previous | Next

Toronto plant in 1920

In 1917, three years before a photographer took this picture of 300 Campbell Avenue in Toronto...

In 1917, three years before a photographer took this picture of 300 Campbell Avenue in Toronto...
In 1917, three years before a photographer took this picture of 300 Campbell Avenue in Toronto, the Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company entered the Canadian market under the name International Business Machines Co., Ltd. (CTR itself was renamed International Business Machines in 1924.) This Toronto building had been occupied solely by the Dayton Scale Company of Canada, but in 1917, work began on doubling its size to accommodate the headquarters of the new company, along with production facilities for both Dayton and the CTR's International Time Recorder organization. Occupancy of the enlarged building by about 100 factory workers and a small sales team began in November 1918. During the next 33 years, this plant will produce a variety of IBM time equipment (clocks and time recorders), scales and punched cards (for tabulating machines). In 1951, a new facility in the Don Mills area of Toronto will become IBM Canada's headquarters and manufacturing plant. (VV2030)