Previous | Next


Washington card plant

Washington card plant

Washington card plant
The Washington, D.C., card plant of the Supplies Division (later Information Records Division) was located at 1818 New York Avenue. It could trace its history in Washington back to a predecessor of IBM -- the Tabulating Machine Company -- which had a factory and office facility in the Georgetown section of the city. Beginning in 1942, the Washington plant produced billions of punched cards for IBM and its customers until 1984, when it closed its doors as the company's sole remaining card manufacturing facility (and finished its service to IBM as part of the National Distribution Division).