Back before there was an International Business Machines (c.1924); back before Thomas J. Watson, Sr., joined IBM's predecessor, the Computing-Tabulating-Machine Company (1914); even back before the formation of CTR itself (1911), IBM's very first manufacturing facility had already begun to take shape in Endicott, N.Y.
A century ago, in 1906, Harlow Bundy -- a Binghamton, N.Y., manufacturer of time recorders -- moved his young International Time Recording Company (ITR) into a new three-story brick building in Endicott. A year later, all ITR operations were transferred to Endicott, and in 1911, ITR was folded, along with two other companies, into the newly-established CTR (later renamed IBM).
In those very early days, the Endicott site consisted of five buildings, including the original "Bundy Building," and employed fewer than 300 people. By the time CTR changed its name to IBM in 1924, Endicott employment had tripled. Ten years later, there were 25 buildings totaling more than a half-million square feet. In later decades, the site employed thousands of workers.
Once formally designated as "Plant No. 1," Endicott spawned a number of important products over the years, including the IBM 650 RAMAC, the IBM 709 electronic data processing machine, the IBM 1401 data processing system and some of the System/370 processors.
Endicott was also the locus of the company's education and training activities (in the IBM Schoolhouse) and it hosted the legendary "tent cities" in which members of the IBM Hundred Percent Club were housed and met during their annual conventions.
IBM Endicott's history is very long and vivid, and you can learn more about this pioneering IBM facility and see images from its past by visiting: