Previous image | Next image


North St. lab (1933)

North St. lab (1933)

North St. lab (1933)

In 1933 IBM completed construction of an engineering laboratory across North Street from the manufacturing plant. The lab seen here was the first IBM building constructed solely for use as a laboratory. When opened, it housed the people and engineering facilities previously located at both the Endicott factory (about 180 employees) and the Varick Street laboratory (about 70 people) in New York City. The North Street Lab served as the headquarters for all of IBM's development work until 1945.

The IBM Data Processing Division details