In 1935, IBM acquired a Masonic Lodge to be used as the IBM Homestead, a place to accommodate visiting employees and dignitaries. In 1938, the Homestead was converted to a guest house for customer executives. In October 1980, IBM officially reopened a newly-renovated IBM Homestead, which had been converted to house most of the site's educational facilities. It consisted of three sections totaling 32,000 square feet. The Homestead Education Center then had 17 IBM 3277 terminals connected to the Endicott laboratory's MVS/TSO and VM/370 systems.