Arthur G. AndersonDuring the course of 33-year IBM career, Dr. Arthur G. Anderson held a variety of key research and managerial positions in the company. Commenting on May 25, 1984, on Anderson's upcoming June 1 retirement, IBM's chairman, John R. Opel, said: "Art Anderson's long career in research, development and manufacturing has involved him in many pioneering projects. He has been a leader in IBM's efforts to continue as the premier technological company in its field. We will miss him and we wish him well when he retires.

The following is the text of a corporate biography published in March 1983.

Dr. Arthur G. Anderson, IBM vice president, is in a newly created position in which he will assess long-range issues fundamental to the company's continued technology leadership. He joined IBM in 1951 as a technical engineer in the company's Poughkeepsie, New York laboratory, and since then has held a variety of research and managerial positions. These have included assistant director of research at the Thomas J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown, New York, and staff director, Corporate Technical Committee, at IBM's Corporate Headquarters in Armonk, New York.

Dr. Anderson was director of IBM's San Jose Research Laboratory prior to his promotion to director of research in July, 1967.

In July, 1969, Dr. Anderson was elected an IBM vice president. In August, 1970, he became a visiting fellow at the Center for the Study of Democratic Institutions, Santa Barbara, California. He rejoined IBM in June, 1971 as director of technical assessment, Data Processing Group. He was named president of the General Products Division when it was formed in September, 1972. He was appointed group executive, Data Processing Product Group in February 1979. He was elected a director of IBM World Trade Europe/Middle East/Africa Corporation in September 1979. He was named group executive, Information Systems and Technology Group in October 1981. He was named president of the General Products Division in December 1981. He was named to his current position in February 1983.

Dr. Anderson received his bachelors degree in physics from the University of San Francisco and a Ph.D degree in physics from New York University in 1958. He is a fellow of the American Physical Society, a member of the National Academy of Engineering, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, a fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, and a member of the American Society for Quality Control.