Test C4040-108: Enterprise Technical Support for AIX and Linux -v2
Note: This test will be withdrawn on Sep 30 2015.
- Understand operating system and application requirements for the system (including AIX, Linux, IBM i)
- Use appropriate planning resources (e.g. performance reports, nmon, r-perf, benchmarks, facts & features, sizing tools, InfoCenter). Consider AIX, Linux and IBM i.
- Demonstrate understanding of hardware model capabilities and limits, including RAS features, best practices for RAM/CPU sizing, POWER6/7, SMT2/4, drawer compatibility and placement.
- Plan for availability and business continuity (multipathing, backup windows, redundancy, single points of failure, etc).
- Determine resource requirements (CPU, memory including Active Memory Sharing and Active Memory Expansion, disk, paths to disk, network connections, dedicated and virtual devices).
- Determine site preparation requirements (facilities, floor space, energy, cooling, delivery requirements, etc).
- Analyze current infrastructure and determine requirements (HMC, networking, NIM/Backup/Monitoring server requirements, etc).
- Demonstrate virtualization planning skills, including differentiating between SEA and Virtual Ethernet, vSCSI, NPIV, Virtual Ethernet, number of physical or virtual Ethernet adapters needed, differentiating LPARs and WPARs, Live Partition Mobility, LiveApplication Mobility, and relationships between AIX level and partition type.
Installation and Configuration (30%)
- Install and configure virtual environments (including creating and deleting a variety of types of LPAR, understanding and managing LPAR profiles, required/desired hardware, virtual adapters, LVM and Storage configuration, VIO Server management, creating and managing System and Application WPARs)
- Configure and manage virtual networks, including Shared Ethernet Adapter (SEA), Shared Ethernet adapter failover, and IVE/HEA . Configuring SEA to support multiple VLANs.
- Install and configure an HMC (HMC networks, users and their rights, connecting server to HMC, redundancy).
- Configure and manage virtual storage (vSCSI and NPIV, virtual disk, virtual tape, and virtual optical devices)
- Add and remove physical devices / hardware (including network, disk, and tape adapters). Consider LPAR, DLPAR, preparing to hot-swap.
- Configure and use Power Saving Modes, Processor nap and sleep modes (AEM)
Management and Monitoring (28%)
- Utilize tools (nmon, xmperf, topas, svmon, lvmstat, lparstat, etc.), interpret output, and take appropriate action.
- Manage Virtual I/O Servers (updating, fixpack strategy, adding/removing VLANs to/from SEA, VSCSI - disks, LVs, file-backed, NPIV parameters, configuration tracing)
- Configure and maintain hardware (ASMI, HMC and server firmware update corequisites, diagnostics, SAS Cabling, problem reporting)
- Monitor Virtual I/O Servers (e.g. entstat, seastat, viostat, fcstat)
- Tune AIX, and install 3rd party drivers
- Understand enterprise application (Oracle, DB2, etc.) requirements and support issues
- Perform VIO Server and client backups, and NIM backup/restore to a VIO server.
Before taking your test, please review our testing policies and guidelines, and registration process.
Register for a Test
Register for an IBM Certification test at Pearson VUE and take a step into your future. Take a minute to review how to Create Pearson VUE account associated with IBM and Selecting Tests on the Pearson VUE Website.