1. Gathering Customer Requirements
- 1.1 Qualify the customer by confirming their expectations, identifying their decision making process and decision makers, and ascertaining their compelling reasons to act.
- 1.2 Determine customer's financial justification for system acquisition (TCO, ROI, customer budget, business goals).
- 1.3 Identify and describe business requirements that can be met by IBM System x capabilities and technologies including networking, systems management, storage, or PureFlex
- 1.4 1.1. Gathering application volumes and requirements at a high level.
- 1.5. 1.1. Evaluate and document current customer environment including: servers, network, Storage SAN, systems management, environment / rack space / electrical power / backup, software (middleware / applications), staff skills, and satisfaction, need for change and growth
2. Discuss Solution Components
- 2.1. Discuss and compare x86 server options: tower,rack, BladeCenter, PureFlex compare to current environment, typically encountered previous versions, and competitive offerings typically encountered.
- 2.2. 1.1. Describe System Software features, architectural advantages relevant to customer environment and plans. Contrast with current customer environment and competitive offerings at a level consistent with the customer audience. These features include: IBM Systems Director, current and commonly occurring previous versions of System Software and related middleware, energy efficiency (Active Energy Manager), consolidation and virtualization, business resilience and security ,and storage management options
- 2.3 Describe IBM System Networking family, features, and architectural advantages relevant to customer environment and plans. Contrast with current customer environment and competitive offerings at a level consistent with the customer audience. Describe the purpose and functions of various IBM Systems Networking and competitive network devices. Differentiate between LAN/WAN operation and features. Discuss related software and middleware, storage products and storage management options including backup procedures, I/O options, and systems management.
- 2.4 Describe IBM System x storage options and features relevant to customer environment and plans. Contrast with current customer environment and competitive offerings at a level consistent with the customer audience.
- 2.5 Not Used
- 2.6 Describe PureFlex family components at a high level consistent with customer audience, and plans: System x Nodes, networking options, systems management options, storage options, Integrated V7000 Storage ITE, PureFlex chassis and rack options, Power nodes, and SWG applications and appliances
- 2.7 Discuss system virtualization options, cloud computing and other topics consistent with customer interest and audience
3. Solution Justification
- 3.1 Describe total cost of ownership including total cost of acquisition, energy efficiency, power and cooling, backward and forward compatibility, and systems management.
- 3.2 Describe the business value of system management tools and techniques and relate to customer environment
- 3.3 Quantify the business value of System x, BladeCenter, Intelligent Cluster (Cluster 1350), PureFlex, iDataPlex, Storage options, networking, virtualization, services features and functions for a new or existing customer
4. Create Comprehensive Solution
- 4.1 Create or direct an accurate hardware, software, and services to meet customer needs including systems management, storage, networking, acquisition and warranty options
- 4.2 High level description of typical migration considerations.
- 4.3 Oversee the creation of a customer approved implementation plan and support team including change and configuration management
- 4.4 Identify areas of risk, discuss with the customer, business partners, the IBM team, and other relevant parties.
- 4.5 Participate in TDA using SAPR process as appropriate
- 4.6 Solve customer business problems using tools, methods, resources and processes and use applicable presales tools (i.e. - xRef, Competitive Sales Tool, Configuration and Options Guide (COG), and ServerProven, ATSMon, Power Calculator, Interoperability Guide, SSCT, Blue Horizon, Disk Magic, xConfig, eConfig).
- 4.7 Engage appropriate support structure (i.e. - PureFlex Sales and Technical Sales structure, Tiger Team, ATS, Techline, Competeline, FTSS, Business Partner support, Distributor support).
- 4.8 1.1. Manage presales channel and option issues.