IBM Certified Technical Sales Specialist - Power Systems with POWER7 and AIX & Linux -v2
Job Role Description / Target Audience
The IBM Certified Technical Sales Specialist - Power Systems with POWER7 and AIX & Linux - v2 is the key technical liaison between the customer, the Power Systems solution sales representative, and IBM. A successful candidate is able to determine customer requirements including growth, understand the components of a TCO analysis, provides ongoing technical assistance to sales and account team, understands competitive offerings, and can size and determine the appropriate customer solutions (including solutions for server consolidation/virtualization).
In addition, the successful candidate is expected to understand the capabilities and limitations of the Power Systems technologies, understands and participate in the TDA process, and possesses knowledge across range of IBM Systems Software, and relevant IBM Software Group products.
At least 1.5 to 2 years in the pre-sales technical job role are recommended, with 6-12 months in a leadership position, advising field sales personnel and designing solutions to be sold and installed.
The successful candidate will have participated in at least 10-12 system and solution design opportunities including:
- At least 5-6 opportunities in a technical leadership role
- At least 6 new system placements for Power 710 through Power 740
- At least 5 upgrades or migrations from older hardware (POWER5 and POWER6)
- At least one medium/ large system opportunity (Power 750, 770, 780 etc)
Additionally, the successful candidate will have taken education recommended for these exams and consistently uses best practices when designing solutions
Recommended Prerequisite Skills
Specific skills of the successful candidate include:
- Know the POWER7 product line, through February 2013 announcement, including PureSystems compute nodes based on POWER.
- Know the POWER5 and POWER6 product as they apply to upgrade and migration situations
- Understand operating system licensing (primarily AIX and Linux, but with some IBM i awareness), including considerations for migrating or transferring operating system licenses between systems
- Positioning Systems Software and IBM Software Group products/licensing (such as PowerVM, PowerHA, Tivoli, and DB2, and when each is appropriate)
- Strong skills in gathering customer requirements (including both processing requirements and understanding physical limitations in the customer environment)
- Has some knowledge of capacity planning
- Can design a solution to support customer requirements, including planning for
- Hardware migration tasks
- Virtualization planning/design skill
- VIO Server hosting various OS's
This certification requires 2 test(s).
Click on the link(s) below to see test details, test objectives, suggested training and sample tests.
- How does your salary compare to national averages? Help Global Knowledge and IBM discover the answers by participating in 2015 IT Skills and Salary Survey.
Not sure what the Member site is? Find out the benefits of being a certified professional.
Premium Wallet Card
Receive a premium wallet when you order your Premium Certificate.