Avoid the use of rich text lite fields.
This checkpoint only applies to Lotus Notes applications viewed through the Notes client.
Note: Applications that support both the Notes client interface and the Web interface must complete both the Web checklist and the Lotus Notes checklist.
Rich text lite fields are rich text fields with a helper icon and down arrow next to the field. Clicking the icon gives the user a fast way to add an object into the rich text lite field. Clicking the down arrow displays a drop-down menu with the elements the user can insert into the field. The helper icon and down arrow were not keyboard accessible in early versions of Notes 6, so someone who cannot use the mouse could only add content to the field in the default format. For example, if the rich text lite field supports text, pictures, images and attachments and the default object is text, someone using the keyboard could only add text in the field.
The picture below shows a rich text lite field. The default object is text indicated by the letter T on the helper icon.
The following technique is the minimum required to meet Checkpoint 5.6 from the Lotus Notes Application Accessibility Checklist:
- Avoid the use of rich text lite fields if keyboard access is not supported in the version of Notes deployed in your location. To determine if rich text lite fields are accessible, tab to the field. Press Alt-Down arrow to display the list of choices. If the list is not displayed, the field is not accessible in your version.
- Provide field help for each object type and the ability to tab to the next field:
- Open the Field Properties box and select the Field Info tab.
- In the Limit Input section, go to the Field Help field. Enter help in the order the objects are listed in the listbox. Separate the help text for each object with the vertical bar (|). For example, to add help for the pictures, shared images, and a datepicker objects, enter the following in the Field Limit Help field: Add a Picture|Add a Shared Image|Insert a DatePicker|
- Select the option "Pressing tab key moves to next field". This enables keyboard users to tab to the next field on the form.
Test the application to ensure that it complies with accessibility requirements.
No tools are required to test this checkpoint.
|1. Using the Notes Client, open the form containing the rich text lite field. Tab to the field and enter Alt+Down Arrow to display the list of options for the field.||
©2009 IBM Corporation
Last updated August 25, 2009.